Friday, February 22, 2008

Are You Lactose Intolerant?

I asked because I am. This inability to absorb milk and other dairy products into my intestine makes me sick especially if I am unable to recognize visually beforehand about the presence of this in the food that I desire to eat. Normally, I would pop in the chewable lactase pill (milk enzyme) into my mouth just before having a feast. However, occasionally, I forget- especially when I do not see any evidence of cheese, cream, yogurt or milk in the food. And this was a mistake last night. So I got sick.

On the average, when husband and I eat in restaurants- we sometimes had to call back the waiter to ask the chef if there was any beat of dairy products in the menu. Why so? Because fifteen minutes later after eating, I would have the symptoms of lactose intolerance: stomach cramps, gas, bloated feeling, and diarrhea. Last night was one of those times when my judgement went wrong.

Dear Husband (DH) and I were at Notre Dame and attended the lecture on "WHERE HAVE ALL OUR DEVOTION GONE?" Prior to the lecture, dinner was served at the church hall. Soon, I was there at the banquet; checked out the food; got a disposable saucer and fork; got myself some green salad (with olive oil and cruttons )and at last, my tiny plate had a bunch of healthy greens in it. I thought I was smart in selecting this in synch with my health status. Then, I sat on our seat (at the extreme end of the long table) and started munching my salad. In between snippets of introducing who I am to those strangers around me, I began at last to enjoy my food. I gulped my white wine (dry) after several mouthful of salad so I won't chokewhile enjoying my meal.

Looking back, as I am writing this blog right now, I realized that indeed there were tiny crumbs of feta cheese in the salad and that was the culprit!!! To think that I took my pill just before eating the stuffed shell pasta with spinach and cream...but no wonder it didn't work. It was damn late!

Minutes later, I was on a marathon from my seat to the loo (if only to let loose the gas in my tummy to no avail). Next, I was mentally planning to walk out and go home at once. But the time seemed to move so slow and beyond my control. Tic, tac, tic. The clock went on a rhythm. At last, the lecture was over. By courtesy, husband and I stood up and congratulated the lecturer. Part of me felt guilty so I explained to the lecturer why I had to be up three times at least. He was a good sport and a funny man, too, for an old priest like him. He took it well without batting an eyelash.

After a while, everyone had bid their goodbyes, Fr. Dennis came to me and asked how I was doing and I said I was sick.

"Was it the food?" He asked.

"I don't think so." I replied.

Aware of how I was feeling, he offered to drive husband and I home realizing we came on foot. He insisted and asked me at least three times. On the last minute, I accepted as soon as I started d to feel that excruciating pain again.

"Yes, Father Dennis that would be great if you could drive us home! Thank you!"

Minutes later, we were all aboard his car. And despite the rain, we were home at once. It was a good short drive, in fact. Once in our domain, fast I went upstairs and buried myself in bed, surrounded by my pillows that made my world to be safe again, it seemed. In bed last night, I wondered how bad my evening has turned out to be just because I had eaten accidentally the cheese and cream at dinner. But I am just sensitive and delicate in make up. I have allergies and reactions to so many things.

As of this writing, I am still nursing an upset stomach. Ooh-lah-la!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: