Monday, September 22, 2008

Tomatoes From My City Garden








Last week, I harvested like 6 lbs. of tomatoes from my garden. Well, it isn't actually a garden, but my mini haven here in the city. These beef tomatoes were planted in the pots. Because they are limited by space, the stems and the branches couldn't carry out the weights of the fruits. So they dry out and the main trunk of the vine gets to be weak. I pruned a lot of them and left only the stems that were healthier and strong enough to carry the weight. I also cut off a lot of leaves to enable a healthier growing process for the fruits so the nutrients can go directly to them and need not be distributed to a lot of foliage and stems. So far, I had to harvest the small ones, too,- the fruits. Last week, I found out that some birds come to my tomatoes and picked on them! They tend to choose the biggest and the ripest one among the group. Ayayay! They leave a large hole on the side. It is a nightmare. So far my first attempt to plant tomatoes last spring was worth it. Today and for the next few weeks, I still have some fruits and flowers, and likely, they would be more before the emergence of autumn.

Click photos to enlarge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: