Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Our Beloved Father Chuck

Click photos to enlarge*

We were back at the airport here in SFO last night to catch up with an old friend of mine since the early 90s. He was having a layover for 4 hours and was coming at 7:30 PM for a connecting trip from Taipei to Wisconsin. We left our flat early and had dinner at Tuktuk Café in Northbeach. Thereafter, we drove to the airport and parked at the hourly parking which turned out to be costly. We arrived there before 7 PM and left the airport at 10 PM. Our bill was just a few cents’ short of twenty bucks. Now tell me, am I cheap?

We waited at the SFO International Airport at extension G for Father Chuck, a Redemptorist priest, to show up. After 30 minutes, he called me up in my cell phone and said his luggage was the last one to manifest at the carousel. Poor boy. I said, “It’s ok. Don’t stress out. We’ll wait for you or if it is getting to be complex, you need not come out. We'll just speak on the phone. This is good enough. Meanwhile, check-in your luggage at the American Airlines counter.” Then, off- the silence speared in.

While seated momentarily, I watched people who were in Exit G. Husband sat down quietly beside me while glued reading his paperback. I was seated but not reading. Near the entrance door of the airport where the influx is, I enjoyed looking at people zooming in and out of the area. To note, many of them are obese or overweight. In this country where everything comes in a bulk, even the obese do. Because many items are affordable and since a lot of stuff sold is mostly in large volume, people tend to max whatever they are paying for, food for instance. Compulsive eating makes gluttons out of men. What normally is served on the plate for one in America could easily feed two people in other nations. People could share a meal here if they want. Overweight people has become a major problem in this country since this involves taking care of their health care, body image issues, financing, etc. Anyhow, after a while...

Another call came through my phone. This time Father Chuck was explaining where he would be and where we could find him easily. Not to inconvenient him, I handed the phone to LITTLE BOY since he is more adept with places and location. Am not left brained and has difficulties with geography. I stayed on the background and just listened to what I was hearing from my end. Husband and Father Chuck chatted and decided on which terminal we must meet. Seconds later, we went up the escalator one floor higher, took the air train and landed in Terminal 3 where the domestic airport is connected to.

The long walk seemed forever when suddenly, I saw the humongous logo of American Airlines beaming at me.

“There! American Airlines!”

I screamed in excitement. I looked around then husband said,

“I think that is him!”

True enough, I saw Father Chuck from a distance~ waiting for our arrival~ waving, smiling and then laughing his usual self in clear stacatto rhythm. Finally, we were there face to face with him.

He hugged me so tightly. I thought his chest would crash every bone in my body! He was teary eyed (sigh) just like me. After a few minutes I introduced husband to him. Soon enough, we were walking towards the escalator. We went up to the Subway Café on the Third Floor. Once seated, I excused myself and went to the basement (to proceed to the rest room). What a long marathon it came to be. And after a while, I was done with my business. I dashed to where I left the two gentelemn. At Subway, we tried to update each other about the gap we missed since our last email. Together, we shared stories and did a summation of what transpired within the span of 12 years in our life. 12 years!!! Doing so made that moment to seem like a short revelry. In two hours we spoke of many things and recorded our remarkable meeting meeting in photographs. We smiled and hugged again. Then, it was time to say goodbye. Our reunion was short and sweet. Brief as it is, it has a strong impact on our friendship. It was wonderful though how short it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: