Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Time Canning Experience~ Lo And Behold!

(L) the 18 lbs. cherries I bought yesterday in Chinatown is quite reasonable for $14.00 a box!

(L) The cherry with a pin pricked on it

While sitting here in my flat, I am still waiting for the last jar of the preserve cherries to come to a magnificent boil then I could rest a bit (whoah) to do the cherry jam this afternoon (if I am still on for it). Otherwise, I am already tired and exhausted!

(L) The cherry pitter

Early on today, I began my kitchen espionage by pricking both ends of each cherry to refrain it from breaking. I did this for at least 5 quarts of cherries (20 cups)! The other 5 quarts, I pitted them to get rid of the seeds. The former has seeds so it would be nice to nibble on them during the wintertime when I sip my wine. Those without seeds, I’d jam or my be preserve them as well. Later, I could think if I’d make them into cherry sauce or a cherry pie filling. This project is quite useful since the cherry season is short according to moi esposo. If I want to keep some for the winter, he said, I should move and do the work soonest. So I did!

(L) The cherry ready to be squeezed to let go its seed using the cherry pitter

Last Sunday, husband and moi bought 6 canning jars in Sur La Table in Ferry Plaza. Today, I was excited to clean them with warm water and soap- then rinsed them after which I poured boiling water on a saucepan where I loaded them- to prep them for the canning process.

(L) The pitted cherry on my hand- look at my thumb! It was heavily stained by cherry juice!

PRESERVE CHERRIES

I did my assignment and got my info at Purdue University, IN online. Where else? Seemed fine and easy to do and yes it is! I chose to use the very light syrup since the cherries I have are quite sweet. I need not add extra sweetener to them. I also wanted them to taste as natural as possible.

PROCEDURE

I poured the boiling syrup (10 ½ cups water and 1 ½ cups sugar) over the cherries in the jars. Before doing this I discovered something based on my research: I must shake first the cherries before pouring the liquid concoction into the jar. This enables the cherries to compress in the jar without compromising shape, color and space. I gave an allowance of a half-inch space to set the lid over it.

THE CANNING PROCESS


(R) The cherries inside the cherry jars- these are the "preserved cherries." They are not jams nor jellies but cherries in very light syrup. They have seeds. The light syrup enables the cherries' natural taste and flavor to remain as they as natural as possible.

I used my largest casserole for beef stew and there, I placed neatly the first 4 jars with cherries; poured hot water from tap until it was over an inch higher than the jar itself. I boiled them for 20 minutes. Adjustments was done in terms of lowering the temperature of the stove as soon as the water begins to boil After the process was done, I took off the water from the casserole to make it easy for me to lift the jars one by one. As you know, I do not have the real *canner* for this project.( A canner is a container for holding the canning jars with a matching lifter to get the jars from the canner after the boiling time). However, it worked for me! Later, I placed the jars on the table to air cool them. They are still hot right now. Take note: you are not supposed to open the lid! The canning process seals the jar!

(L) The Sur La Table canning jar from Germany. This comes in to be more expensive than the American mason jar brands. But it is nicer in industrial design and in terms of aesthetics, I suppose so.
Next, I placed the 2 tall jars: one canning jar and one recycled jar where the Kalamata olives were stored when we bought it at Costco. Following the advise of moi husband (that I could use “any jar” as long as it is boiled), I did just that. Used that “any jar” to my nightmare! Once the water in the casserole began to boil, I saw one, two, then three, four and many more cherries floating in the water! Caramba! I got the soup ladle and checked out the boiling water- guess what? It was cherry red in color! I thought, “This is it! Little Boy Blue’s advice is absolutely wrong!” I always give him the benefit of the doubt since he always wants to participate, watch, or join in my kitchen soiree…the least I could do is take some tips from him (which for most times isn’t right since the kitchen isn’t’ really his domain)!

DISCOVERY TIME USING “NOT THE REAL CANNING JAR”

(R)
Preserve cherries in canning jars


First, I lifted the Mason jar (canning jar); checked it out- et voile, it is perfect! Inspired, I put it on the table together with the ones in smaller jars. Second, I got the soup ladle once more and fished out to get the cherries floating in the casserole! They were quite a lot this time- like I think I saw 30 of them swimming in hot water! I put on the potholder gloves, used the tong, and then lifted the whole jar with the bottomless pit. Whoah! I knew it! I dropped it in the kitchen bag box that I am discarding later. Then, I took off the remaining piece that seals the bottom of the jar. Holy Cow! Major disaster! The jar was cut into two! Later, I would tease moi husband and say,

“You really are not the royalty in the kitchen but moi- see what happens when you insist I do what you suggest me to do? ” (I would narrate my misgivings with complete stage blocking -*haha*).

Right now with my wet hair dripping all over me (I had a hot bath), I try to manage multi-tasking: writing down this entry and drying my hair, bit by bit. BTW, I would fly out in a few days’ time and this would be my last project before jet setting overseas. I will not be blogging for three weeks or if ever I may do it, it would be a shorty since I have a hectic schedule meeting people.

In perspective, there are so many things to do in the kitchen but certainly canning and making preserve cherries is a new experience for me! Indeed, I always find joy in doing things in my kitchen like a high school science experiment. I love it, especially if I am on my own and alone take note! Why? Because I could afford to make mistakes without having to feel sorry or conscious about it. And as for my canning experience, it was worth the long journey I had from morning till evening. It is tiring but quite satisfying. The truth be told~I never had anything to do with it in my life before marriage. We didn't do this sort of thing because the cost is unbearable where I originally came from. Here in the USA, it is affordable so I do it. And with the time in my hands, I can do everything I want at will being a stay-at-home wife. Prior to this, my domain was certainly not the kitchen but the art room, exhibition halls, galleries, music room and the stage! Now, my kitchen is everything to me, can you beat that? Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: