Friday, May 15, 2020

How It Was For Us From 10/2019 to 02/2020

It’s a different time. We now all wear masks and gloves when we leave our homes. We shower immediately and change our clothes once we are back from the outside. We are so afraid of the Corona Virus known as COVID-19 that we all try to be hygienic for healthy reasons and survival. The year 2020 has brought global change in economy, health, life style and relationships.

In San Francisco, the lock down began on March 17, 2020. It was one of the very first cities in the USA to do it. And the first to declare it under the "state of emergency.”  Over all, the entire globe is on lock down. In all continents.

How, when and where were you when all this started?

For one, my husband and I were in the Philippines during the third week of October 2019. We spent Christmas and New Year 2020 there. Our experience this year was far better than the year before. The house I inherited was almost done, repair wise. Painting was done on the interior and exterior of the house, except for the posts in the carport and some minor painting needed on the fence. With that in mind, I left for San Francisco with dear husband feeling better. We packed the house thru the help of our contractor, Ed. We shipped the plastic that contractors use in the USA to pack furniture and appliances to keep them from dust and paint splashes during the painting process.

SURPRISE

When 2020 came by, I was a bit excited because I was turning 62 on January 13th and there was this element of surprise that tickled my funny bones. The night before, it was hot and humid. But on the day of my birthday, there was an “ash fall” in Batangas, Tagaytay, Bacoor, Las Pinas and the hole of National Capital Region. I remember feeling stressed as I looked out the window when it happened. The ashes were getting more and more as seen in the outdoor chairs we set outside the house. I was concerned because the exterior of the house has just been painted prior and I was worried it was going to have ashes all over. Luckily, there was none. My contractor came a few days later and started to clean up the roof. And the yard. He finished all that needed painting and did some repair in the house.

COMING HOME TO THE USA

We left Manila for San Francisco on February 08, 2020 feeling apprehensive. The Corona Virus was already emerging globally starting its point of origin in Wuhan, China.

The night before our flight, it rained so hard but the morning, it stopped. I remember removing the plate under each pots with plants so as not to over flow the water in case it rained again. I was looking forward to seeing them alive upon our return this October 2020 if that is even possible.

My sister Emilie came to see me and husband to say good bye at 7 A.M. Shortly, our GrubHub driver came by and drove us to the airport. From November 2019 to February 08, 2020 many things happened. Family get-together, karaoke time and a visit from my French close friend, Olivier in December. He was happy as well as my family. So it was a good first meeting on both parties.


BEFORE I FORGET

My sisters Emilie and Balloon hosted a dinner for us at Max’s Restaurant not far from our house. All their children and spouses were present. Emilie ordered a good bye cake for me and husband and Balloon made her specialty cakes, banana cake and cinnamon cookies. Or that is what I at least remember. I am old a and I forget things easily! We brought them here in the USA and during our lay-over in Taipei, we ate some of them as desserts.

AT THE AIRPORT IN SAN FRANCISCO

The winds of change were different the moment we arrived at the SFO International Airport. Not a lot of stress about the virus. A few people were wearing masks. Husband and I traveled for over sixteen hours wearing it. It was horrible and hot. But we felt safe having it on our faces so we did try to endure having to travel with the mask.

ARRIVING IN NORTH BEACH

We were just so happy to be back in California. And the first thing we check on is our veranda. "Did our plants survive our absence?"   "Yes." We have a drip system and the plants are watered on schedule by the hour. Oh, before I forget! The mouse we saw just before we left for the airport was trapped in the sticky paper that husband has left on the carpet before we drove to SFO. We were just glad the mouse is gone as it always is a problem when we see one or two.

CHECKING ON THINGS
After we arrived, I unpacked the sweets and desserts meant to be given away as gifts to our landlords who kept and took care of our mails in the span of four months when we were gone. They are nice.  We were happy to see them and to get back our mails. We got to meet the new baby of Tina and Carey whose name is Dylan. He was there looking at me with his chinky eyes, wrapped in the arms of his dad. he is very fair and very adorable. Cutie! Tina was chatty and Ryan, our seven-year old friend, was the same way.

FINALLY BACK IN OUR ABODE

Once we were settled in our domicile, we hopped in our soft bed. We covered everything in our flat with plastic as well so it was very clean. We slept after a few hours of reading our iPads. Thereafter, our sleeping pattern was never the same again since the jet lag has kicked in.
This is a short entry to get by so I don’t get to forget what transpired the past four months of our lives as a couple. I will update again once I get the time to not being lazy during this time of Corona Virus.
This is all. But indeed, I need to fill up the gaps of this entry and add some photos for posterity. Until then. Adieu.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: