Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ferry Plaza In SFO

Today, we had an early morning hike. We walked down Columbus and straight ahead to Stockton, and then stopped at Pacific. There, we hailed the Muni Bus Number 12, with the hope that we get into the Latino community at Mission. We wanted to check it out, eat their Mexican deli, have some margarita, and perhaps- shop, et al. The trouble was, we got into the wrong bus. Inside the Muni, husband asked the black driver about how we were to get into our destination. He advised that we stayed on inside and just to get off at Ferry building then hop into the next bus that would lead us then to the Mission District. When bus number 12 passed along Ferry building, we decided to get off instead because I needed to use the loo. Once there, we were invigorated by the hundreds of people who came in to see what's up and about in that area.

Outside the building, there were stalls of vendors that told me of the presence of the local farmers who were selling their organic harvest for the day. While last week was frustrating for us in not seeing the farmers market to be in action, today was unbelievably fascinating that it was there for us to enjoy.

At the courtyard facing the main street, the middle aged colored man was doing his gig and hitting the pots and pans in his great splendor. The spectators were amused. Nearby, was the attraction of the day. They were a bunch of anti- Bush administration who were in an ensemble of aprons in red and beige colors. They were encouraging people to throw away several pairs of shoes (sigh) on the US president's large scale portrait. This was done in the style of the Middle Eastern media man, who almost hit Bush on the head, and who later found a spot in the world news network, for striking a stateman. Did we get the shoes and joined a few of them? Nope. We were better than those imbeciles. Not that we are pro-Bush but husband and I do believe in good manners and right conduct. We advocate respecting other people regardless of race, color, age and political affiliation. After seeing this disturbing scenario, complete with a regalia of cameras, prompters and what-have-not, we had enough of it. We left shortly and headed towards the Ferry building where a battalion of people were walking excitedly. Inside, I suggested to husband to go have some coffee and pastries at Peete's Coffee and Tea while I proceeded to find the loo. Seconds later, he went on his way and I did find mine. It took a short minute, and then I was there.

Going to the ladies' restroom was frustrating because the line never seemed to end. However, after ten minutes or so, my turn came through. I entered the first available cubicle. There, time passed by so quickly. Once done, I washed my hands and wiped them out with a piece of white colored tissue paper. Later, I got out quickly, then walked past a crowd of people. Then, I noticed The Fish Store Restaurant that sells a variety of sandwiches, seafood and salads. There, I found myself getting glued to what I thought was an interesting haven for good food. Immediately, I was drawn to buying fresh oysters drizzled with cocktail dip, white horseradish, lemon and tabasco. Instinctively, I ordered two pieces of them. After a moment, I handed my payment to the young male vendor. I paid him three dollars for the two pieces of oysters which I then placed inside the rectangular box that had no cover at all. Minutes later, I was gliding and walking quickly to where husband was at Peete's Coffee and Tea.

"Surprise! I got us each an oyster!" I said in delirious thrill.

He grinned and responded, "Oh, you just can't resist it, can you?"

"Nope." I quipped.

Immediately, he stood up and offered me his seat. I thanked him and he said his monosyllabic, "welcome."

The place was getting to be swarmed by hungry visitors. It was noisy as well and poor husband was practically situated at the very end of the counter where a young college boy was grinding the black coffee beans. Apparently, he is one of the local employees there who was doing his share of labor to pay off his college fees. Obviously, husband was sitting there for quite sometime and improvised to use the counter as his "table" for lack of having it. It was that crowded he said~ that all he wanted ASAP was to find his space, pull a chair and to sit down. Ok, so now I understand why he had no table!

Once settled, I sat down at his chair and began piercing the oyster with a cocktail toothpick. Husband remained standing while he tried to take off the meat from the shell of his oyster. Then, we were both munching our juicy delight with much satisfaction. It was delicious! But, I had to pinch my nose time again from getting headaches because the horseradish took its toll inside my mouth, sinus, and skull. Yikes! All at once was an explosion of spices insidemy head that made it seemed to be cracking in orbit. Moments later, I asked desperately for husband to please hand me the bottled water he had with him earlier. I drank almost a third of it. After that brief moment of agonizing delight, we headed and walked at the back of the building where the bay of SFO could be seen in a closer perspective. Across us is the famous Bay Bridge. And outside, people from all ages and colors were walking rapidly, while others were shopping, eating, talking, waiting, sunbathing, and glorifying the day's promise of a warm weather amid cool breeze and bright clouds. In one corner near Sur La Table, I was hypnotized to find the farmer I knew who sells my favorite arugula leaves that I find to be enticing when added to a slice of rustic bread or green salad. When I saw her, the old lady with heavily tattooed body dressed in her tank top, looked at me with warm welcome. Initially, she was pacing back and forth to where her little corner of veggies was engineered by stalls of white canvas and steel. Around her were an orchestra of green supplies: chard, dill, arugula, cabbage, rosemary, parsley, sage, romain.

"Where is the arugula?" I asked.

"Oh, it's just there in front of you."

"Oh, ok. Thank you. May I taste it?"

She answered, "Sure, go have a bite."

I told husband, "Ok, I am buying this."

Finally, I got a plastic and filled them with the Italian leaves. I paid two dollars and twenty five cents for them.

As we began to walk further, I started to feel sick.

"I am nauseous. May be it was the oysters." (We had three more each, later upon my return from the restroom).

"But that is impossible." Husband quipped."We ate exactly the same thing but I don't feel sick."

" Yes.But I am more sensitive than you."

His shoulders went up for a little bit then he said, "Oh yes."

We walked some more to check on the lavender, kiwi, jams, cheeses, eggs, and wheat flour. After a while, I was really feeling sick.

"I feel very nauseous and I don't think I could stay any much longer."

"Ok, I need to take you home now." Husband said it firmly.

We walked faster than ever. As the traffic was building up in front of us, a cab was passing by slowly. Husband gestured and raised his right arm to signal the driver to stop. In a minute, he was in front of us and then, hestopped. I was just happy to note that we had a ride and that coming home would be fast and easy. We got in, me and husband. The drive was fast. Soon enough, the driver stopped by our alley and said,

"Be sure you did not forget anything. Have a great day you two!"

That was sweet of him. He was an elderly man from the Middle East.

While walking towards our alley and then to the entrance door of our flat, I was very exhausted and was ready to drop dead in our bed. I went straight to the bathroom and relieved myself from anymore discomfort.

Then, I went to bed and hugged my soft pillows.

I said,

"Now I know what made me sick. I ate two pieces of arugula. And they were not washed and cleaned yet. People were coming to see it, as in touch and go. So, that made me sick and not the oysters."

Husband was quiet as a zombie then went on to his office to do the accounting of our business. I went to nap and woke up just now, to write this entry for this week.

"When the Torres family calls, tell them we can have coffee together. I think I am good now and could join you all later this afternoon."

So this is how my Saturday evolved from the time we left home and gone back home.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: