Monday, March 24, 2008

PAGNOTTA, Italian Round Country Bread

I baked these two round pieces of PAGNOTTA yeterday after husband and I came back from the park. To bake this bread, I needed a mister so I went to Chinatown (close to our flat) near Walgreens and purchased one.

The bread turned out quite all right. It was quite tasty and authentic in flavor and appearance. It measured to 9" in diamter. Yesterday was just my first time to bake this PAGNOTTA and I did well. The crust is the crispiest crust I ever had! The inside had a nice a bit of salty flavor and has nice holes that say a lot of what a great bread it is. The cornmill and the bread flour mixed and sprinkled over the crust made it more crunchy. After tasting this bread for the first time, it has now become our favorite more than the CIABATTA or FRENCH BREAD. The sourdough sets the difference. The book I am using in baking this is called, "THE IL FORNAIO Baking Book" by FRANCO GALLI. There are shortcuts to do this bread. I watched in YOUTUBE. Some bakers use DUTCH OVEN or LA CLOCHE CLAY BAKER (round). It is like a garlic baker. I baked this the traditional ITALIAN WAY without the aid of these tools, just my plain cookie pan. And it worked just fine.

WHAT IS PAGNOTTA?

PAGNOTTA is a rustic peasant loaf with a hard, deep brown crust and a soft, white center. This bread keeps well for 3 days or more so long as it is kept tight in a ZIPLOC bag. PAGNOTTA is found in northern ITALY. It is baked without a tinge of olive oil so this is a healthy bread to eat.As a beginner in making bread, you may not have the heart for this recipe as it takes a long process to do it. It has 3 rising time before it is baked in the oven. First proofing is for 1 1/2 hours; second is for 1 hour; third and last was proofed for 55 minutes. Baking time was supposedly for 1 hour at 425 degrees Fahrenheit but since my oven's temperature gets hotter than the norm, I only baked my bread close to 27 minutes and by that time, they were done and had a hollow ring when you drum it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: