Monday, August 27, 2007

Starting On A New Hobby: The Art Of Quilting

I borrowed books on the above subject from our North Beach Library and bought a book in Lincoln City, Oregon two weeks ago on making baskets and purses using the clothes lines (cotton) and cut fabrics. I also purchased a quilting pattern similar to the one featured here in the photograph. These projects should pre-occupy my time these days since I have a new sewing machine to play on and work with. Meanwhile, my equipments for these projects arrived this morning from the mail. Our Chinese mailman buzzed in and brought up the rotary cutter and rotating mat- typical instruments used to cut 6 layers of fabrics in one passage. Husband tested the rotary cutter and it is sharp! It is also costly at 25 bucks a piece. But it is an instrument that would make life easier for me with my new hobby which is quilting.

Three years ago, I learned to crochet blankets, shawl, scarf and carpet. This year, I will learn to quilt. In Oregon two weeks ago, I fell in love with this specialty shop on quilting. There were arrays of designs on display, styles and techniques to choose from plus yardage of fabrics that celebrated different occassions of the year. Inside me I quipped, "I just wish I could handle my first project on quilting and do it with tolerance, patience and artistry!"

Personally, I always have fun doing things alone. Quiet hobbies are my cup of tea. Although I enjoy parties, I feel rejuvenated in solitude. This makes me neither introvert nor extrovert as a person. Am just slightly poised in between.

Rotary cutter is similar to a pizza cutter. It rotates as you work on a shape to cut off the fabric. Well, this is all. I need to leave to shop for what I need. So long for now. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: