Monday, March 19, 2007

Baking My First Pie For 2007: "Lattice Apple Pie With Streusel Topping And Toasted Chopped Almond"

We have been dieting so I have not been baking since January this year. However, with the amount of apples we got at the fridge (they are quite a lot), today I decided to bake a pie. The top is a bit brownish due to the extra sugar that I sifted over it. I used olive oil to make the crust. This pie is perfect when served with a cup of freshly brewed hot coffee. Bon appetito!

See photos below. Click to enlarge.




ABOVE: The crust that I refrigerated for a few hours and covered with cling wrap plus the lattice top crust in close up. The lattice top crust looks great. I initially worked on this in my Bethany pastry cloth then I transfered the woven crust at the back of a round pizza pan. I roll my dough in the pastry cloth which actually has a wood underneath it. I put it on top of the table and there I do the magic trick! To do this lattice crust is quite simple as this is like weaving several strips of paper to make a paper mat. To cut it straight, I used a pizza cutter and a wooden ruler to cut off the thin vertical crust for this my apple pie crust.



The apple pie filling is cooked with butter for 8 minutes on the caserolle. I like this version as the meat of the apple is really cooked and is tender. I don't like to eat raw apples as filling of my apple pie. Yikes! Husband loves this version as well. In fact, this is his favorite aside from cherry pie!

The baked apple pie fresh from the oven...



Wouldn't you like to be my house guest and have a taste of my culinary expertise? *Wink*Wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: