Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What I Baked This Afternoon a("Blueberry Cake") And What I Baked Yesterday Morning ("Cherry Pie")


*Blueberry Cake* with Streusel Topping

Click photos to enlarge
Blueberry is my favorite berry in season and living here in CA makes it all affordable to use it, bake it and eat it, too. While I was posted overseas teaching in international schools in different countries, I only get to buy or eat the canned ones so here I am delighted to be able to purchase the fresh ones-mamamia, fresh blueberries! We just finished eating this cake, with the new recipe I found in www.joyofcooking.com and I served it hot with freshly brewed coffee. Yummy! It's easy to bake even for first time bakers...yes, indeed! It should be fun more than baking cookies or banana cake.

*CHERRY PIE*


Above: My first attempt to bake a "cherry pie" was a success. Yipee! I am delighted as always! You'd see the different stages on how I worked on it in preparation to bake it. The advise given at the book was to place the pie pan over a baking pan so the crust won't get burned or overly brownish in color due to overheating. Foil is used in the first 25 minutes to protect the crust then it is removed as the baking time moves on.

The cherry pie is so yummy, husband and I have been eating it non-stop since yesterday and even this afternoon. As a matter of fact, it's almost finished...hahaha!

For this pie I used the recipe of Home and Garden's latest edition. It uses oil (I always use olive oil for health reasons) and not butter for the crust. This recipe is labeled as "BEST LOVED." And sure it is now our best love as well!

Well, if you are interested with the recipes here, you may leave a note at the bottom of this feature. Click comments and you may drop me a line or two. Ciao!

BTW, to make the cherry pie, I bought a "cherry pitter" at Sur La Table at Ferry Building. It is $12.00 + excluding tax. But it works wonder and takes off the seeds easily!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: