Tuesday, June 06, 2006

On Transitions: Packing Time When Moving Time Is Fast Approaching



How well do you pack your stuff if you were relocating?

Well, I, for one, am very systematic. I write on post-it paper whatever is inside the box I am working on at the moment. I do this then keep the list on file on my laptop. When all is done, I print the box number; items inside then tape it in the middle part of the box. I emailed the Blue-Eyed Spouse tonight about this and he had a good laugh! Is that funny? I don’t think so! He only meant to say that I am super organized. I just wanted everything to be sorted out well so when the moving day comes, the movers would know which box is fragile and those that are not. Also, to make things more compact as far as throw pillows and comforters are concerned, I shrink wrapped them so now they are compressed and shrank in smaller size than before! This I learned from moi husband. My training at home just comes out in times like this one. I am one of those who belong to the obsessive-compulsive personality group-who wants order in her universe. But I know people- my cousins- who are worse than I am. I'd say, I am a minor case here, a yet formidable combo of someone who wanted order and sense of aesthetics in her surroundings, in her undertakings.

I finished packing 14 boxes tonight. Started out early when I woke up at half past seven in the morning and went on with it till the Blue-Eyed Handsome fella went on his long haul drive for his business trip this week. Tonight it is 10: 47 P.M.and I just had dinner, finished the packing (at last for the mean time- Santa Banana!). So here I am doing my ramblings. The other linens, table runner and curtains are still in the dryer. Been waiting for them to dry then would fold them. Would pack them, too- but I'd do that tomorrow morning, or- may be I'd take a breather and do my scrap booking? I’d see how I feel...when tomorrow comes.

So far, some of the stress of moving is leaving my skin at this point in time since I started out the packing galore today. I felt like hey, I have started on and now I can see what needs to be done, discard and take with us in San Francisco.

The toughest thing to do today was packing the littlest of things in the kitchen to the largest of pots and pans! Tonight, I cooked pasta and I had no casserole cover to use (sigh) since I already packed them all (well, talking about austerity, suddenly it is here happening in my domain)! I only left out a casserole, tea pot, 2 plates, glasses for two, etc. Just the basics and all the rest are boxed now. Hahaha. Gosh, I need to rest my legs at the tub. They are aching and my sole feel like my weight was multiplied by two...they hurt quite a bit. Ouchhhhhhhhh! Aray!!!!!!!!! (in Filipino). Well...this is all. Night, night!

NOTE:

Living in different countries in the past had allowed me to be an “expert” in packing. I used to watch my packers and movers and all they did was to pack even the smallest item in a huge piece of craft paper. This way whether it is fragile or not, the huge bit of paper protects the item inside once folded a thousand times. Minus the craft paper they used for my stuff years ago, today, I used old newspapers (moi husband laughs at my “Third World mentality” where frugality is my nickname).

Little Boy Blue, being American was a former consumerist (or at least he tries not to be after living with me for sometime now). He was ready to buy tons of newsprint weeks ago-those that he thinks would be useful for all my packing needs. I said, “No-No-No-No-NO!!!Don't buy me those! I will do it my way and I need not spend a dime. Watch me do it!”

So today, I used old newspapers and magazines for packing. But Little Boy loves surprises and came home yesterday from Schemper’s Ace Hardware; brought me a huge box of wrapping paper (to my horror)! My teeth were gritting, my eyes-big, my mouth open and then he smiled and his strikingly blue eyes said, "I got you this babe..." Hmm....What else can I do? I thanked the thoughtful spouse but decided to keep the wrapping paper in his office; urged him to return it soonest as I have no use for them so long as I have my recycled newspaper, I am fine! So, he promised he'd return what he got at the hardware...what for? To save money-rahrahrah! And he had a good laugh!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: