Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Life In Suburban Ripon

Click photos to enlarge*

One of my sisters asked me about how do we get rid of our trash in Ripon? Well, each Wednesday, the town truck picks them up. All household has two large black bin containers for this.

Today, I was lucky enough
to have captured these scenes in photograph while I was having a drink at the kitchen this morning. When I heard the roaring of the truck's engine, I rushed to get my digital camera! Our house is in the corner street of Palm and Fourth Street so it is a strategic site to observe what's going on outside.

Well, I know some of you might wonder about the relevance of this littlest information I write in here. It is simply because I am a foreigner and many things done here in the US are not necessarily done or practiced in other countries. This page helps my family to have a glimpse of my daily life here in California. Questions? None? Good (*smile*).

LEFT: my former Mexican neighbor's house across our house along Palm Avenue. This is also situated on the corner street like ours; RIGHT: Sue's cute little house. I love the garage- look!
(click it to enlarge)

A Mexican man used to live and owned this house. He had several kids who were still living with him, one was in middle school, who walked to school daily- and when he was driving his used car, his boom box's music was so loud, Sue, my soft-spoken geriatric neighbor, would always call the town police to rescue her from all the noise coming from the next door house, this house! I always had a good laugh when she talks about this. She also hates this Mexican family's banana trees as they cover the perspective of her home! Anyhow...

The story goes...that our Mexican hero's wife dumped him, had an affair with another man, ran away with her lover then later divorced her Mexican husband and of late, was wanting to get the house where the poor guy lived in with his kids that she abandoned!!! Ay, caramba! Mamamia!!!! The poor fella, the stereo type victim of an unfaithful woman- is a hard working guy, was almost left frozen- in a state of shock, so I was told. But see- despite the fact that I rarely talk to anyone within the radius of my home, I still get some news from around- from Sue. So folks, you see, all is the same in the world. (TRANSLATION: people talk- neighbors spy, some speak loud and clear;others have the gift of tongue and know how to use the right vernacular and eloquence to make one to listen in myopia. Others are loud while a few are gentle, and speak in a whisper, like my favorite doting grandma neighbor Sue).


Our hero was such a wonderful man, so gracious and kind. He looked like Saddam Hussein with thick moustache. BTW, Mr. Mexican gave me banana trees two years ago. I used them in cooking "TORTA" (omelet) and also in ironing clothes (to make the iron slippery once it touches the fabric and it makes the clothes to smell good as well). This former home owner was so friendly; was the second one to welcome me inthis neighborhood; and always waved his hands whenever he sees me working at the yard. He was a sweetheart, indeed. He loved his place so much and cared for it like it was his baby. However, due to financial difficulties, he sold this place and relocated to Portland, Oregon where standard of living is not as much as it is here in California. Us- his neighbors-felt sorry when they moved because he really loved it here. I fondly remember those lunch times he'd come home for siesta and while watering the yard, he'd play his Mexican music- blaring loud like there is a town fiesta somewhere- to the horror of his next door neighbor, Sue (an old lady in her 70s), who I taught was a funny old woman with a poker face. Haha!

Now, the new owners- are in and they seem not to be good as Mr. Mexican in maintaining this place. But who am I to judge? Well, my only concern was the fact that the lawn was not regularly mowed nor the plants were watered daily. The white flowers that bloom in early spring that were so awesome and beautiful were withering easily due to lack of water intake daily. In fact, some neighbors have expressed this observation as well. If only the Mexican gentleman could see how his house is cared for (cared for????), he'd shake his head in disgust on why are some people cold and uncaring? So this is the story of this house on the corner of Palm and Fourth.

Well, in most of American states~in California, for instance and in Ripon in particular- people take pride in their homes! When a family is not able to mow their lawn, trim their hedge or water their plants, some old folks would pout and say, "Oh, they don't take care of their yard as much as we all do! What a shame! What a shame!!! Ayayay! There- that puts you in a perspective worth viewing from my vista. Well, in retrospect~ they just want to have a green earth where the air is fresh and clean, where aesthetics play an integral part in every day living. And who wouldn't like that?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: