Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What's for lunch?


Click photos to enlarge*
Here's a sampler menu that I served for lunch today:

1. Greek salad
(ingredients: Greek Kalamata olives, olive oil, tomatoes, feta crumble cheese and balsamic vinegar plus pepper, mix all then presto, you got it!)
2. Half yield of broiled salmon in rosemary, olive oil and salt (set oven to broil- about 550 degrees and cook for 8 minutes for each side) and broiled mushroom
(with olive oil and salt) 3. Boiled Ravioli (mozarella, blue cheese & Romano cheese) served with white sauce (beef broth and non-fat milk)4. Mexican ripe mangoes
I have been mostly baking and broiling chicken and fish and refraining from frying anything at all. I alter my cooking to making chicken stew to break the monotony of eating broiled and baked dishes. To quicken our weight loss program, I stopped baking cakes, pies, breads and
cookies for the time being while we (husband and I) are trying to lose weight. So far for me, I have not really done my workout with our Bowflex machine but I have already lost 3 lbs since last week (just by avoiding fried food). This diet is working for me, hopefully for my husband, too.
Before, I used to serve huge slices of baked or broiled salmon (one whole) for each of us, baked in butter and thyme and served with melted butter, crunchy fried garlic and lemon for sauce. Now, I just cut one serving of salmon and divide it by two. Moreover, I substitue olive oil for anything that asks for butter and sure it makes a difference as far as weight loss is concerned! The plate of salmon, mushroom and ravioli (in photo) seemed like a small volume but they were a lot indeed, quite deceiving to the eyes! I didn't even finish my ravioli and felt so full!
The Mexican mangoes we had for dessert tasted almost like our Philippine mangoes. Husband loves to suckle on the seeds until they are mostly white and dried...haha, (my brothers and sisters plus moi used to eat ripe mangoes like that when we were kids). Now, I just slice off the meat of the mangoes from the seeds and serve them on plate. Husband wants his mango seeds so I keep them for his dessert. We got them in Chinatown last week and I was surprised they also sell the miniature mangoes we call back home as "supsupin." But they aren't as good as the ones we bought. We purchased two boxes and we are enjoying them for desserts as substitute to our usual doze of apple cakes, pies and muffins. It takes guts and discipline to lose weight, I hope we succeed for our health and well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: